Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What Do the Unemployed Do?

You’ve heard the song What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas. Well, what do the unemployed do each day? They wake up at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 or maybe 6:00 in the morning. Perhaps to job search; to read a book; to blog; to worry; to play a quick game of solitaire to relax or unwind; to watch a movie; to pray; or to think about the future – and the future is not three or five years from now, but tomorrow, the next day, the next week, the next month.

Yesterday I thought I would get the call scheduling my interview for the job out of state. It didn’t come. The company initially informed me that they wanted to possibly have me there today (Tuesday, February 23). It’s difficult to get a schedule together when you have to meet with multiple individuals, and, likely, even more difficult when the individuals you’re meeting are attorneys. I spoke with HR on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week.  On Friday, I e-mailed the requested bio attaching my resume that would be distributed to the interviewers.  I followed up with a phone call to the recruiter letting him know I had e-mailed the bio.  He thanked me and informed me that he would be in touch next week (this week). 

I talked with a friend that lives in the state where the company is located to find out about places to live.  My mom reminded me that I have cousins – first cousins – that live there also. That’s reassuring. If I have to make a move,  at least I know people there.  The unemployed anticipate a job, or in this case a move, before the interview even takes place. A mere glimpse of a job keeps me hopeful.

[Via http://economiceffect.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment