Sunday, March 14, 2010

a (short) Quicken Update

Ok

not too long ago, I decided to try and use QUICKEN

again.   Since I really wanted to track my [poor] spending

habits.  And in general to try and improve my [very poor]

finances.

Well, so far, I am learning it is a big “pain in the butt”

This is probably why I am an engineer instead of an

ACCOUNANT.    ugghh

Now, after only 3 months of recording, my family bank

account balance is off by about $238.17″.  hoy

And my personal account, which I only opened 6 months

ago, is off by a similar (although seemingly non-disclosed)

amount  HA

So, for ease of getting your transactions from your bank

and other financial institutions, I give Quicken an A++

BRAVO   vastly improved over the 1998 or so version

But it still is an accounting program, so you still have

the meticuosly drudgery or going through all those

[although be it easily-downloaded] transactions

And furthermore, you may have to increase your

skill in finding the mistakes, etc.    That part I seem

to be short on skills or patience therein……

But i will stick to it for as long as I can,  I am finding that

There are mistakes in the banks, and credit cards transactions

And on occasion, if one fall out of my favor, I will be able

to challenge it, or at least be aware of it.

Also, we have some pretty frequent charges for medical expenses

As we grow older and require more health care.    Also, my

wife has type II diabetes, so there are some significant recurring

costs to cope with that

The point being, that quicken can easily flag these type of expenses

And record them.   The final yearly costs may be enough to

get itemized on our taxes.  So that is a good incentive to track

them

Overall, the software is much better, but you still have to

put a lot of time and effort into tracking it all.  Hopefully

I get my balances straightened out before TOO LONG

Since the longer it goes, the bigger mess it is to go through

hoy

CM

[Via http://millerc360.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment