Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grind, grind, grind at that grindstone: Shane MacGowan vs. Lester Bangs

LESTER BANGS: Who says it’s a big old complicated world? I’ll tell ya what it comes down to, buddy: one word: JOB. You got one, you’re okay, scot free, a prince in fact in your own hard-won domain! You don’t got one, you’re a miserable slug and a drag on this great nation’s economically rusting drainpipes. You might as well go drown yourself in mud. We need the water to conserve for honest upright workin’ foks! Folks with the godsod sense to treat that job like GOLD. ‘Cause that’s just what it stands for and WHY ELSE DO YOU THINK I KEEP TELLING YOU IT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE UNIVERSE? Your ticket to human citizenship. One man, one job. One dog, one stool.

SHANE MACGOWAN: I don’t believe in the fuckin’ work ethic. This “work is what life’s all about” shit is just a bunch of bollocks, it’s just a fuckin’ English bourgeois guilt trip invented by the fuckin’ English bourgeoisie to keep people in line, y’know like a bunch of happy fuckin’ slaves. Bourgeois guilt means fuckin’ nothin’ to me.

As for me, I have to agree with MacGowan. When it comes to the economy, I think Leonard Cohen said it best: Everybody knows the fight was fixed. The poor stay poor, the rich get rich.

[Via http://pulsemarkowski.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment