Saturday, September 5, 2009

And freedom cries out!

I saw this on Fox News last night. I love this woman! (h/t to HotAirPundit)

Catherine Bragg spoke out at a recent town hall meeting on health insurance reform with Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D) 6th congressional district of California. She said what I have been saying for more than a month: If you’re worried about the cost of health insurance let insurers compete. Stop restricting the health insurance market on a state by state basis. Bring in tort reform to stop frivolous medical lawsuits.

I would add: Let health care institutions expand as market demand increases. Do not allow government to quash small health care providers in favor of big ones.

I’ve heard someone else suggest this and I think it’s a good tactic. When proponents of government-run health care complain about the “free market” in health care just ask, “What free market?” There’s limited competition in health care. The competitive aspect is regulated by various government institutions and this can only drive up costs. I want government to regulate the quality of care. I do not want government to control access to care directly by limiting when and where health care providers can expand to meet demand, by severely limiting the coverage options in health insurance, nor indirectly by limiting which insurers can operate in which states. Freedom and open competition are the best salves for this problem.

[Via http://piboulder.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment