Saturday, September 26, 2009

You're A Gamer?

Yes, I Play Video Games

As you all will get to know, I really only have a few main interests in my life. When I’m not spending time with my lovely girlfriend, when I’m not in school or doing work, you can find me relaxing on my couch playing video games. I wouldn’t call myself a “gamer” because gamers like to play all kinds of games and jump from one to another when they’ve beaten it. Personally, I like first person shooters, but I’m very open minded about any game.

__Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

The reason why I wouldn’t call myself a gamer is not because I’m fixated on one type of game, it’s because lately I have been only playing one game for the past 2 years. That game is Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. This is possibly the greatest game made in the past 5 years. According to CNet.Com, since it was released in late November of 2007, COD4 Modern Warfare has sold over 10 Million Units spread over 3 main outlets; the Xbox360, Play Station 3, and the PC version. Assuming all units sold for the listed retail price of $60, that’s over $600,000,000 (six-hundred MILLION) of revenue over the past two years. So why did this game do so well? For those of you who know the Call Of Duty franchise, you know that COD has been based on the recreation of historical wars. Well, COD4 Modern Warfare had the chance to deviate from that saturated reputation that the Call Of Duty franchise was known for and they hit it out of the ball park.

COD4 was the first of the Call of Duty games to have a modern take on it. The guns were modern (M-16, AK-47, P90, MP5, SAW, 50 Cals, etc.), no more single-shot-reload guns. Because this was a new concept for the COD franchise, creators at Infinity Ward had the opportunity to create a completely hypothetical story line. Of course, considering the current status of the world, it was only appropriate that the story be based on terrorism. Clearly self-evident, the Infinity Ward staff recognized that a clean slate meant a huge opportunity to revolutionize the Call of Duty franchise. Not only is the story line captivating, but so is the multi-player mode. That’s the main factor that took COD4 so far; multi-player.

Modern Warfare 2__

With COD4 Modern Warfare still being played be hundreds of thousands everyday, the guys at Infinity Ward are releasing Modern Warfare 2 this November 10th. The story sounds just as amazing as the first MW and multi-player looks to be as smooth as the single player game mode (based on the MW2 Trailer). According to Infinity Ward’s community manager, Robert Bowling (twitter @fourzerotwo), that is because the MW2 staff started on the multi-player mode the very first day the single player game-play went into development.



Modern Warfare2 Trailer via YouTube. (youtube.com/infinityward)

If you ask me, Modern Warfare 2 looks like a combination of the first Modern Warfare and Killzone2 (another great game). There is no doubt that this sequel from Infinity Ward will live up to the hype.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading. This one was a bit longer, but if you’re a fellow gamer, you understand I made it as short as I could considering the many great things there are to say about this game. I am in no way endorsing this game or other products of Infinity Ward. I am simply giving my honest opinion as a consumer. There is more to come. I wanted to address a bit on PS3 vs. Xbox360, but I think I’ll save that for another time. This post is long enough!



Rich Before 35

No comments:

Post a Comment