Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cultural tourism, is Surrey Heath missing out?

Tourism is something that the developed world enjoys, evolving from it’s modern beginnings with the Victorians, to its position today as a major industry in its own right. Tourism continues to grow, driven to some extent by an ever expanding population of retired people.

I don’t believe Surrey Heath is taking advantage of the opportunities that tourism brings. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating a new Thorpe Park in Surrey Heath, what I’d like to see is greater use of our green space and our cultural heritage. Both areas could be set up to generate income and enjoyment for visitors.

Just look at the evidence for a deficit of cultural tourism in our borough. Take a look at the Heritage Open Days website. Look at what’s on offer in the South East, and see how little is on offer in Surrey Heath. Case made methinks.

The government sees the London 2012 Olympics offering tourism potential. Do we in Surrey Heath? I’m not sure we do. This report interestingly says,

“… 80 per cent of tourism income is generated at home by day trips, business stays, holidays at home and visits to relatives.”

Again, please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not suggesting that Surrey Heath Borough Council goes into the leisure industry. But it does have a role to play, pump priming I’d call it. Heck, we’ve the undoubted skills of Bob Potter to tap into, owner of the Lakeside complex.

[Via http://lightwater.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment