Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Are you in mourning?

The industrial era is dying. It has given the planet a fever, it is starving to death as oil runs out, and people are questioning the assumptions on which it is based.

But when the industrial era dies, many aspects of our life go with it. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross characterised five stages that people go through when faced with the death of a loved one, or their own death. You can look at some of the reactions to the state of the world in terms of these  five stages

1. Shock/denial – Global warming does not exist – we are not polluting or running out of resources dammit.

2. Anger – Global warming exists and it’s their fault!

3. Bargaining – if I just change my lightbulbs can I keep my international air travel…

4. Depression/despair – Oh god there is nothing we can do…

5. Acceptance – the industrial era is dead, I’ll get my gardening gloves…

Obviously I’ve oversimplified this – there is more going on than global warming, and gardening is not the only activity in the post industrial (or Anthopocenic era – where human activities are recognised as being the major influence on geological and planetary processes).

For me the mourning analogy is useful. It helps me have more compassion for myself, as I see myself at various stages in the process. I remember being angry at evil industrialists, I’ve done my fair share of bargaining, and spent time in despair.

It also helps me extend the compassion to all the climate sceptics who can really piss me off. What they really need is a hug

In case there is a climate sceptic who reads this – I don’t really want to hug you.

I owe the Kubler- Ross analogy to my friend Roger spent years working as a coach and consultant in large industries, while keeping his perspective larger than their bottom lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment